December 30, 2002

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that I went down a needle-size in the Koigu socks. I had been using US2s on Koigu, and I went down to US1s. I really like the higher density of the resulting fabric. I’ve not cared for the way that other Koigu socks I’ve worn have been mildly uncomfortable in hard leather-sole shoes; I’ve always been able to feel the individual strands biting into my feet where the hard leather rubbed. The higher density on this new toe seems to result in a more consistent and hopefully more comfortable fabric. Time will tell.

December 30, 2002

What a great weekend. I finished Rob’s toe-up Mountain Colors socks, updated some of the yarn swatches at ThreadBear, and started on a toe-up version of the green and purple Koigu socks that have been my standard Sock-It-To-Me socks (see ThreadBear Events Schedule for more information). I didn’t rip what I had of the Koigu; fortunately, I had a loose ball wound of the same yarn.

I really didn’t like the circular toe that I did on Rob’s socks. I started with four stitches at the tip of the toe and increased gradually until I had all of the foot stitches. I tried a short row toe on the Koigu socks, and while I don’t have a full toe completed yet, I’m fairly certain that I’ll like not having the added bulk of the increases at the tip of the toe, and by using a provisional crocheted cast-on that will be picked up when I finish the toe, I think the short-row toe will be much more professional.

Otherwise, we’re just getting ready for Ad Day on the sock list. We send out ads on the first and fifteenth via the sock list, and I always try to have all of our stock updated on the website by those dates. This time, we’ve also got our new class list going out. It’s pretty conservative for the first quarter, but I expect to have some additions as time wears on.

Woohoo!!

I finished something. Number Six (the hand-painted Lamb’s Pride Bulky ski cap) was finished on Christmas Eve, and I gave it to a friend that we were visiting for the holiday. She loved it, I was wonderfully gratified, and I FINISHED A PROJECT.

So I’ve been working on Rob’s toe-up Mountain Colors Christmas socks since then. On Christmas day, I got one foot finished and got onto the leg, stopped, pulled from the opposite end of the ball and started the second foot. I finished the second foot last night, and I’m most of the way up the gusset, now. If we stay in this evening, I should be able to get them finished. We’ve slated some workshops and classes for January, but I’m not sure if I should participate in the new projects or continue to finish off older stuff.

I’m also working through Deborah Chandler’s Learning to Weave, so I may just continue to finish off older projects and leave the new ventures to the loom. I’ll post photos as they become available.