Well, Rob beat me to the punch and wore his socks before I could get a good photo of them. Can’t say that I’m disappointed, though. He really seems to love them. I’ll post a photo as soon as I can get them washed and blocked.
In the meantime, Monday will be our Philosopher’s Sweater Group get-together, so I spent a little time last night working on the body.
So far, I only have a few inches of the body done, but considering it’s fifty-some-odd inches around (I did measure the chest to figure out how many stitches I needed, but I’ve long since forgotten the measurement), I’m making decent progress. Besides, both sleeves are done. The method suggested by Ann Bourgeois of Philosopher’s Wool has you work your sleeves first to establish your gauge and colorway.
The colorway is my own, but the pattern is their Colour Your Own, so it made sense to me. A couple of other knitters in our Philosopher’s Group are currently working on their own versions, so I’ll have to see if they’re interested in posting pics of all of our sweaters. They’re all gorgeous, but each is different.
Of course, we have folks doing other patterns, as well. Again, I’ll try to get pics Monday if they’re amenable.
Ok. I know it’s silly, but I like numbers, and It’s not everyday you get a fun date like that. Happy New Year, folks.
But back to knitting. I’ve got to get some images up here of my finished projects. Rob’s socks look great, and I’m very proud of Christie’s hat (the hand-painted Lamb’s Pride Bulky ski cap). Neither were of phenomenal difficulty, but they’re both nice, and I’d like to get some pics up.
We had an awesome New Year’s Day meal with several of our local knitters (and a couple of supportive—and hungry—spouses) in attendance, and Rob prepared some of my family’s traditional Southern New Year’s Day dishes. We had black-eyed peas, collard greens, mashed potatoes, cornbread, and fried chicken with peach cobbler for dessert. Yum. Yum. Everyone there, including a couple of fellow Southerners gave his efforts high marks, and I have to admit that the collards may well have been the best I’ve ever eaten. Sorry, Granny, but you’d have loved them, too.
Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that I went down a needle-size in the Koigu socks. I had been using US2s on Koigu, and I went down to US1s. I really like the higher density of the resulting fabric. I’ve not cared for the way that other Koigu socks I’ve worn have been mildly uncomfortable in hard leather-sole shoes; I’ve always been able to feel the individual strands biting into my feet where the hard leather rubbed. The higher density on this new toe seems to result in a more consistent and hopefully more comfortable fabric. Time will tell.
What a great weekend. I finished Rob’s toe-up Mountain Colors socks, updated some of the yarn swatches at ThreadBear, and started on a toe-up version of the green and purple Koigu socks that have been my standard Sock-It-To-Me socks (see
ThreadBear Events Schedule for more information). I didn’t rip what I had of the Koigu; fortunately, I had a loose ball wound of the same yarn.
I really didn’t like the circular toe that I did on Rob’s socks. I started with four stitches at the tip of the toe and increased gradually until I had all of the foot stitches. I tried a short row toe on the Koigu socks, and while I don’t have a full toe completed yet, I’m fairly certain that I’ll like not having the added bulk of the increases at the tip of the toe, and by using a provisional crocheted cast-on that will be picked up when I finish the toe, I think the short-row toe will be much more professional.
Otherwise, we’re just getting ready for Ad Day on the sock list. We send out ads on the first and fifteenth via the sock list, and I always try to have all of our stock updated on the website by those dates. This time, we’ve also got our new class list going out. It’s pretty conservative for the first quarter, but I expect to have some additions as time wears on.
I finished something. Number Six (the hand-painted Lamb’s Pride Bulky ski cap) was finished on Christmas Eve, and I gave it to a friend that we were visiting for the holiday. She loved it, I was wonderfully gratified, and I FINISHED A PROJECT.
So I’ve been working on Rob’s toe-up Mountain Colors Christmas socks since then. On Christmas day, I got one foot finished and got onto the leg, stopped, pulled from the opposite end of the ball and started the second foot. I finished the second foot last night, and I’m most of the way up the gusset, now. If we stay in this evening, I should be able to get them finished. We’ve slated some workshops and classes for January, but I’m not sure if I should participate in the new projects or continue to finish off older stuff.
I’m also working through Deborah Chandler’s Learning to Weave, so I may just continue to finish off older projects and leave the new ventures to the loom. I’ll post photos as they become available.